Before New Student Enrollment
- Make your Orientation reservation. Reservations open May 3, 2021 for first-year students admitted for Summer/Fall 2021.
- Complete the pre-advising tasks in MyRed (these must be completed before you are eligible to sign up for you advising appointment):
- Register for your one-hour virtual academic advising appointment in MyRed.
- Complete the Pre-Registration Health Requirement Form prior to your Orientation day. All students are required to provide immunization records.
- Students who are 18 years old must have a Power of Attorney Form signed by their parent/guardian to receive care at the University Health Center.
- Apply for your NCard and upload a photo prior to your Orientation day.
- Complete your University Housing contract or on-campus residence form if you haven’t already done so. All incoming, first-year and/or unmarried students enrolled for six or more credit hours, and who are under the age of 19 prior to the first day of the fall semester of the current academic year, are required to live in university-approved housing.
- File your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you haven't already done so.
- Complete your financial aid "to do" requirements in MyRED.
- Confirm that your IB, AP and transfer credits as well as your final high school transcripts are received by the Office of Admissions no later than July 1.
After New Student Enrollment
- Set up Two-Factor Authentication to access your university accounts. After you're enrolled in courses, the next time you log in to MyRed, Canvas, or Huskers email, you'll be prompted to protect your accounts. Find a step-by-step guide at go.unl.edu/duoguide.
- Find your MyUNL username. An email will be sent after your NSE day with your username or access your MyUNL username through TrueYou (this is a different username than MyRed). Your account ID will be used to access Canvas, Huskers email, the parking portal, wireless internet, and other password-protected UNL systems. To find your MyUNL account, go to trueyou.nebraska.edu and follow these instructions.
- Log in to your Huskers email at mymail.unl.edu. You’ll use your MyUNL account ID plus @huskers.unl.edu to log in (example: email@example.com).
- Update your contact info in MyRED. Designate your phone number and email address as primary—not your parents'!
- Familiarize yourself with MyRED for course registration, billing statements, scholarships and financial aid, degree audits and other important University of Nebraska–Lincoln information.
- Review the Student Accounts Guide for new students and parents with details about payment plans, bills and direct deposit. Set up your direct deposit by August 1.
- Download the Nebraska App. The Nebraska app will contain maps, your class schedule, events on or around campus, news, campus notifications, and more. Go to the app store on your mobile device and search “Nebraska.”
- The Year One College Behavior Profile (Y1CBP) is an online alcohol and other drug education program designed to help students learn about alcohol and marijuana’s effect on the mind and body, correct misperceptions about student alcohol and marijuana use, increase awareness of protective factors, and identify strategies for intervening with a friend who has had too much to drink. The program takes about 15-20 minutes to complete and includes information about campus and community laws and policies as well as resources available to students at UNL. Complete the survey here.
- Student loan borrowers must complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and loan entrance counseling.
- Complete the required alcohol and sexual conduct (Title IX) modules (you will be sent the links in your email).
- Copy and pack your health insurance policy cards. Don't have insurance? Find out more about University student insurance.
- Add the University Police Department phone number into your contacts (402-472-2222) and sign up for UNL Alert.
- Purchase a parking pass and/or register your bike.
- Download your student bus pass to your smartphone. Don't have a smartphone? Visit the Parking & Transit Services office at 625 Stadium Drive, Suite A.
- Sign up for your move-in time through the Housing Portal in your MyRed account. You will receive an email from Housing when this process is open.
- Familiarize yourself with the Student Code of Conduct.
- Read over Housing's policies and procedures.
- Contact your roommate to discuss expectations and what to bring.
- Talk with family about how you will update them on your academic progress, how often you will call, budgets and whether you plan to give them access to your MyRED account.
- Determine what textbooks you need and where you will purchase them. If you plan to purchase from the University Bookstore, order in advance.
- Bookmark Center for Academic Success and Transition for academic coaching, workshops and study stop locations.
- Sorority Primary Recruitment will take place the week before UNL’s Fall 2021 academic courses begin. Visit the Panhellenic Primary Recruitment website.
- Check out Big Red Welcome events online.
- Review your class schedule and locate your classroom buildings. New Student Enrollment will run Class Schedule Tours during Big Red Welcome.
- Transfer prescriptions to the Health Center by bringing in your medicine container with labels attached.
- Connect your computers and mobile devices to the UNL wireless network.
- Contact your academic advisor if a course change is necessary.
During the first three weeks of the semester
- Visit your professor's office hours and introduce yourself!
- Pay your tuition bill by September 12.
- Schedule an appointment with a success coach (through MyPLAN) to plan your semester goals and study strategies.
- Integrate study stop locations into your study routine.
- Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor in early October to develop your academic plan.
- Attend a free academic workshop.
- Find at least one academic and one interest-related student organization to be a part of.
- Open a University MyStyle Checking account through Union Bank online.