Before New Student Enrollment
- Reserve your spot at an NSE day in MyRed
- Complete your Advising Inventory in MyRed
- Complete the Math and Language placement exams
- Complete the Pre-Registration Health Requirement Form
- Students 19 or younger must have a Power of Attorney Form signed by the parent/guardian to receive care at the University Health Center.
- Upload a photo for your NCard ID
- Download the Guidebook app for your NSE schedule, parking info, and other important details
- Complete your housing contract or on-campus residence form. All students under 19 years by August 21, 2017 must live in university-approved housing.
- File your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you haven’t already done so.
- Complete your financial aid "to do" requirements in MyRED
- Confirm that your IB, AP, and transfer credits and final high school transcripts are received by the Office of Admissions no later than July 1.
After New Student Enrollment
- Claim your MyUNL (Canvas/Blackboard account) via email sent the day after NSE. You need the log-in & password to obtain a parking permit and register for campus wireless. Instructors post syllabi, grades, and assignments in Canvas/Blackboard.
- Update your contact info in MyRed. Designate your phone number and email address as primary—not your parents!
- Claim your UNL email account.
- Familiarize yourself with MyRed for course registration, billing statements, scholarships and financial aid, degree audits, and other important UNL information.
- Review the Student Accounts Guide for new students and parents with details about payment plans, bills, and direct deposit. Set up your direct deposit by August 1.
- Register to vote/update your voter registration with TurboVote.
- If you will live in a fraternity, cancel your University Housing contract by August 15 to avoid paying the 40% balance.
- Use Husker Hire to find a job, including work study.
- Student loan borrowers must complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and loan entrance counseling.
- Complete the required alcohol and Title IX modules (you will be sent the links in your email).
- Copy and pack your health insurance policy cards. Don’t have insurance? Find out more about UNL student insurance.
- Add the University Police Department phone number into your contacts (402-472-2222) and sign up for UNL Alert.
- Purchase a parking pass and/or register your bike. Look for your free bus pass in the mail.
- Submit bed height preferences by July 20 in MyRED.
- Download UNL Housing Move-in guide via the Nebraska Guides app for helpful tips and directions
- Familiarize yourself with the Student Code of Conduct.
- Read over Housing’s policies and procedures.
- Contact your roommate to discuss expectations and check out what to bring.
- Talk with family about how you will update them on your academic progress, how often you will call, budgets, and if you plan to give them access to your MyRED account.
- Determine what textbooks you need and where you will purchase them. If you plan to purchase from the UNL Bookstore, order in advance.
- Bookmark First-Year Experience & Transition Programs for academic coaching, workshops, and study stop locations.
- Sorority Recruitment runs August 14–19. Download the Fraternity and Sorority Life guide in the Nebraska Guides mobile app for more info.
- Official move-in begins August 17. Odd floors move in on August 17 and even floors on the 18th between 8 a.m.–4 p.m. You can move in after 4 pm either day regardless of floor assignment. If you are moving in early, you must sign up for a move-in time on the housing web site (opening in early August). If you are part of a group that moves in before the 17th, you will be given other specific instructions. Find more information about move-in.
- Review your class schedule and locate your classroom buildings. New Student Enrollment will run Class Schedule Tours on August 19.
- Pay your tuition bill by September 12. Visit Student Accounts.
- Transfer prescriptions to the Health Center by bringing in your medicine container with labels attached.
- Check out the Welcome Week events in your Big Red Welcome guide in your Nebraska Guides app or online.
- Register mobile devices to use campus Wi-Fi.
- Contact your academic advisor if a course change is necessary.
- Attend the OASIS Kickoff event on August 27 from 3–5 p.m.
During the first three weeks of the semester
- Visit your professor’s office hours and introduce yourself!
- Schedule an appointment with a success coach (through MyPLAN) to plan your semester goals and study strategies.
- Integrate study stop locations into your study routine. See locations.
- Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor in early October to develop your academic plan.
- Attend a free academic workshop. See list of topics.
- Find at least one academic and one interest-related student organization to be a part of.
- Attend the UNL "Stroll-Off" sponsored by the National Pan-Hellenic Council and Multicultural Greek Council, Friday, September 8 at 7 p.m.