Power Up Weekend
Power Up Weekend
- Meet incoming first-year students and NEBRASKA student leaders.
- Spend two nights in a residence hall and eat at campus dining facilities.
- Experience student life and engage in fun campus activities.
- Learn Husker traditions.
- Receive leadership coaching and participate in team building activities.
- 1 Log into MyRed.
- 2 Use the Admissions drop-down menu in the top navigation and select "Undergraduate." (Registration opens March 27). Click "NSE Summer Camps/Power Up Weekend reservations." Complete the online registration form.
- 3 If needed, sign up for free airport shuttle service from the Lincoln (LNK) airport when you register. If you haven’t booked your flight yet, but anticipate needing transportation from the airport, register for Power Up now, and sign up for the shuttle service once you’ve confirmed your flight.
- 4 Submit the required forms.
- 5 Pay the $200 fee via credit card or check. There are a limited number of $90 scholarships for Pell Grant eligible students. Upon registration, the system will verify if you qualify for the Power Up Weekend scholarship and automatically award the scholarship.
Checks can be made payable to: University of Nebraska–Lincoln
Mail checks to: New Student Enrollment 312 N. 14 St. Lincoln, NE 68588-0454
Note: If you decide to cancel your Power Up Weekend reservation, we must receive the cancellation notice by May 23, 2017 to refund the Power Up Weekend fee.
Details and FAQ
This schedule provides an overview of Power Up Weekend activities and is subject to change.
- Meet other students through ice breakers and team time
- Learn about Husker traditions and values
- Enjoy a hypnotist performance
- Eat ice cream from UNL’s Dairy Store for a late night snack
Meals provided: Dinner
- Learn how to leverage your strengths during your first year on campus
- Participate in outdoor team-building activities
- Discuss students’ different identities and how to be inclusive and respectful of others
- Familiarize yourself with campus through a special campus tour
- Enjoy music and evening activities at a party at Campus Recreation
Meals provided: Breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Set goals for the fall semester
- Participate in a small group reflection about your experience this weekend
- Pose for a group photo!
Meals provided: Breakfast
- Long sleeve T-shirt
- Athletic shoes
- One extra blanket (sheets, a pillow, and pillowcase will be provided)
- Bath Towel
- Flip flops (for shower)
- Alarm clock
- Water bottle
New Student Enrollment will be offering transportation to and from the Lincoln (LNK) Airport on Friday, Sunday, and Monday during Power Up Weekend. Sign up for this service on your Power Up reservation in MyRed.
Students who are driving to Power Up Weekend will park in the Green 'C' lot straight west of the 14th & Avery parking garage. Students attending NSE on Friday, June 9: You will receive a special Power Up parking permit at NSE check-in. Students attending NSE on Monday, June 12 or another day: You will receive a Power Up parking permit when you arrive in the lot between 3:00–5:00 p.m.
Drop-off Parking: If someone is dropping you off at Power Up, limited meter parking is available along 17th street west of Abel Hall and in the lot east of the Abel-Sandoz Welcome Center.
Accessible Parking: Accessible parking spaces are available in the lot east of the Abel-Sandoz Welcome Center.
Lodging information for parents
The Hyatt Place, located in Lincoln’s new downtown development The Railyard, is New Student Enrollment’s host hotel. Enjoy complimentary breakfast and Wi-Fi, as well as discounts at nearby restaurants and shops. To reserve a room for the NSE rate of $119 please call 888-591-1234 or book online at hyattplace.com and use code G-NS17.
Optional parent activities during Power Up Weekend
New Student Enrollment invites parents/guardians of Power Up Weekend participants to a reception at the Hyatt Place from 5:30–7 p.m. on Friday, June 9. This will be an informal opportunity to meet other parents/guardians. NSE staff will deliver a short program at 6:30 p.m.Explore dining, shopping, arts, and entertainment in the Haymarket district near the hotel
Get more information about Lincoln and things to do
As stated in the Event Code of Conduct, students are not to leave the assigned program area at any time except as a part of the planned program. If we discover a student has violated this rule, we will contact you immediately.
Do I need to make a Power Up Weekend reservation and a New Student Enrollment reservation?
Yes, Power Up Weekend and New Student Enrollment (NSE) are two separate programs. We have two NSE days exclusively for Power Up Weekend participants: June 9 and June 12. We recommend pairing your NSE day with Power Up Weekend, so you only have to make one trip to Lincoln.
I am trying to make travel arrangements. When should I arrive for Power Up Weekend and when is it over?
This depends on when your New Student Enrollment day is. June 9 and June 12 are New Student Enrollment days exclusively for Power Up participants. Availability on these dates is subject to the college you are admitted to.
For students who are scheduled to attend New Student Enrollment on Friday, June 9:
Students will want to arrive by Thursday evening (June 8), because NSE check-in begins at 7:00 a.m. on Friday, June 9. After the NSE day concludes on Friday, Orientation Leaders will guide students to Power Up check-in. Power Up Weekend will conclude by Noon on Sunday, June 11.
For students who are scheduled to attend New Student Enrollment on Monday, June 12:
You will not need to arrive to Lincoln until 4:00 p.m. on Friday, June 9. We will begin Power Up Weekend check-in at 4:00 p.m. in Abel Hall. You will attend NSE from 7:00 a.m.–4:15 p.m. on Monday, June 12, so travel arrangements can be made after the NSE day concludes at 4:15 p.m.
What should I bring?
Please see the Packing List provided on this page.
Is bedding provided?
Sheets, a pillow, and a pillowcase will be provided. Please bring an extra blanket.
Should I bring snacks or drinks?
We recommend bringing a water bottle that you can refill throughout the weekend. Feel free to pack other snacks if you like, too. All meals (2 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 2 dinners) will be provided.
Where do I park?
Please see the parking information provided at the Arrival and Parking tab on this page.
Where do I check-in?
Power Up check-in is at the Abel-Sandoz Welcome Center at 830 N 17th Street.
Do parents attend? Are they needed at check-in?
Parents do not attend Power Up Weekend, although there is an optional reception for parents on Friday night (see Parent Information tab). You may bring your parents to check-in, but they are only needed if you still need to complete your waiver forms.
My NSE day is Friday. Will the day be over before Power Up check-in?
Yes, Orientation Leaders will guide you to Power Up check-in after your NSE day is over.
Should I eat before I come to Power Up?
Participants will eat dinner together between 6:00–7:00 p.m.
My NSE day is Friday. What should I do with my luggage?
Do not bring your luggage with you to the Nebraska Union for New Student Enrollment. You will have time to go back to your car after the NSE day is over.