What is the International Welcome Team?
The International Welcome Team's goal is to help new international students transition smoothly to the U.S., Lincoln, and UNL.
The Welcome Team provides the peer support and local knowledge necessary to make new students feel at home as a Husker from the moment they arrive in Nebraska. The team greets and assists new international students at the Lincoln airport and leads activities during International Welcome Week.
Your Role as a Welcome Team Member
- Be a friendly face and resource at the Lincoln airport when new international students arrive.
- Be a leader during International Welcome Week by facilitating small-group discussions and activities, giving a tour, and troubleshooting students' issues.
Who can be a Welcome Team Member
- Current domestic and international fully admitted undergraduates are eligible. IEP, CEAP, and Exchange students are not eligible. Applicants with previous experience in mentoring, leadership, or cultural groups and a desire to help new international students adapt would make strong candidates.
Benefits of being a Welcome Team Member
- Gain leadership experience
- Strengthen your résumé
- Improve your communication skills
- Connect with international and domestic leaders
- Earn $9/hour
- Be a valuable resource for new students
Welcome Team members work exclusively in the 1-2 weeks before the Fall and Spring semesters begin. There is no work obligation during the semester after classes have begun. Welcome Team members can hold other on-campus jobs, but those jobs cannot interfere with Welcome Team work in the 1-2 weeks before each semester begins.