International Welcome Team
What is the International Welcome Team?
The International Welcome Team's goal is to help new international students transition smoothly to the U.S., Lincoln, and UNL.
The Welcome Team provides the peer support and local knowledge necessary to make new students feel at home as a Husker from the moment they arrive in Nebraska. The team greets and assists new international students at the Lincoln airport, leads small groups at International Orientation, and hosts at least three social programs each semester.
Your Role as a Welcome Team Member
- Be a friendly face and resource at the Lincoln airport when new international students arrive.
- Be a leader at International Orientation by facilitating small-group discussions and activities, giving a tour, and troubleshooting students' issues.
- Plan and execute social programs for international and domestic students during the semester.
Who can be a Welcome Team Member
- Current domestic and international fully admitted undergraduates are eligible. IEP, CEAP, and Exchange students are not eligible. Applicants with previous experience in mentoring, leadership, or cultural groups and a desire to help new international students adapt would make strong candidates.
Benefits of being a Welcome Team Member
- Gain leadership experience
- Strengthen your résumé
- Improve your communication skills
- Connect with international and domestic leaders
- Earn $9/hour
- Be a valuable resource for new students
Most of your work as a Welcome Team member will be during the week before school in the Spring and Fall semesters. You would work 40 hours or more during that week. You will also be assigned to host a “Life in Lincoln” activity on a Friday evening at least two times during the semester.
Additionally, Welcome Team members are occasionally offered other opportunities to work international and domestic events for New Student Enrollment throughout the semester. You can have another job aside from the Welcome Team, but it should not interfere with your Welcome Team work in the week before school.
When to apply
The application deadline is Tuesday, March 6. Late applications will not be considered. Semi-finalists will be notified on March 13 and will then need to sign up for an interview time. Interviews will take place the week of March 27.