What is the International Welcome Team?
The International Welcome Team's goal is to help new international undergraduates transition smoothly to the U.S., Lincoln and UNL.
The International Welcome Team is a joint effort among New Student Enrollment, University Housing, and the International Student and Scholar Office. Welcome Team members provide the peer support and local knowledge necessary to make new undergraduate students feel at home as a Husker from the moment they arrive in Nebraska. The team greets and assists new international students at the Lincoln airport, leads activities during International Welcome Week, staffs residence hall welcome desks, and hosts activities throughout the semester.
Your Role as a Welcome Team Member:
- Be a friendly face and resource at the Lincoln airport when new international students arrive.
- Be a leader during International Welcome Week by facilitating small-group activities and troubleshooting students' issues.
- Lead activities during International Orientation.
- Help students check in and get connected within the University Housing residence halls.
- Plan and execute events for international students during the semester.
Who can be a Welcome Team Member
- Current domestic and international fully admitted undergraduates are eligible. IEP, CEAP, and Exchange students are not eligible. Applicants with previous experience in mentoring, leadership, or cultural groups and a desire to help new international students adapt would make strong candidates.
Benefits of being a Welcome Team Member
- Gain leadership experience
- Strengthen your résumé
- Improve your communication skills
- Connect with international and domestic leaders
- Earn $10/hour
- Be a valuable resource for new students
- Work approximately 50–60 hours in the 11 days before classes begin in the Fall semester (includes training).
- Welcome Team members can have other on-campus jobs but cannot work at their other position in the 11 days before classes begin due to Welcome Team obligations.
- Work approximately 4–6 hours each week during the semester doing student outreach and event planning/execution.
When to apply
Check back in Spring 2022 to apply!
Applications are closed.