Non-Traditional Students

We have a place for you.

If you haven't followed the "traditional path" to college directly after high school graduation, it's okay.

We Know What It's Like

The number of non-traditional students enrolled in institutions of higher education continues to increase. Typical non-traditional students:

  • are 23 years of age or older
  • have been out of school for a number of years
  • AND/OR, have a primary focus other than school (i.e. marriage, parenting, work, etc.)

Information for Non-Traditional Students

Register for NSE

At New Student Enrollment, attend a special program for non-traditional students to get information that will help you be successful.

Make a reservation through MyRed to:

  • attend New Student Enrollment
  • register for classes
  • meet with your adviser

Designed For You

We've got a special program to provide information that will help you be successful. You will meet other nontraditional students, learn about the services that promote academic success, and find out about support services that cater to students who have taken a break from formal education.

Apartment-Style University Housing

The Courtyards, East Campus Residence Hall and The Village are single occupancy rooms designed for upperclassmen, graduate students or non-traditional freshman (resident 20 years of age or older with a freshman classification) ready for a more independent living environment.

More Information

University Family Housing

Student Family Housing is available to students who are married or have children.

More Information

Off-campus Housing

There are many off campus housing options around Lincoln. See the Landlord & Tenant Issues section of the University Student Legal Services Legal Handbook for more information about finding an apartment off campus, leasing, deposits, renter's insurance, and landlord issues.

More Information

Biking to Campus

If you ride your bike to campus, please review the Lincoln and University Bicycle Policies. You can register your bike with the University Police Department for free. Locate bike racks on campus at the map here.


All students parking on university property must purchase a permit or park in a metered area. For more information about parking options, click here. For more information about purchasing a permit, click here.

Public Transportation

A University/StarTran bus pass is issued and provided at no cost to all Nebraska students from Parking and Transit Services. You can use this pass on intercampus routes and other routes in Lincoln. Learn more at this Bus Rider's User Guide.

Academic Tutoring—A compilation of tutoring resources, including math, writing, science, and language services, organized by academic discipline or type of service.

Campus Recreation—Fitness and wellness facilities and programs.

Career Services—Located in room 230 of the Nebraska Union, Career Services provides resume and cover letter assistance, job portals, interview feedback, and employment opportunities.

Counseling & Psychological Services at the University Health Center (CAPS)—College is stressful but there is help. All Nebraska students are eligible for three free counseling sessions at CAPS. CAPS also provides screening, groups, and workshops.

Digital Equipment Checkout—Nebraska students can check out equipment including laptops, external hard drives, and video and audio recorders.

Financial Aid—Scholarships, financial aid, FAFSA, and paying student fees.

Huskers Helping Huskers Pantry—Any current student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln who is in need can stop by to pick up free food and hygiene items and/or to get help connecting to university and community resources related to food and shelter insecurity.

Legal Services—Legal advice and representation for students.

Lincoln Area Agency on Aging—Plans, coordinates, and advocates for older people in the area.

Parking and Transit Services—Bus pass, parking permits, pay/appeal citations, and maps.

Print IT—Pay-per-print kiosks around campus.

Registered student organization search—Search for organizations on campus related to your academic, personal, and/or professional interests.

Student Money Management Center—Financial education resources including information about banking, budgeting, credit, insurance, and tax assistance.

Students with Children—A student organization at the University focusing on the concerns of student parents. Resources and support services are available through the Women's Center for parents of all genders.

Student Veterans Organization—The Student Veterans Organization is dedicated to helping veterans, active duty military, and their families, achieve success in their pursuit of a degree from Nebraska while providing a network of support, and friendship on and off campus.

University Children's Center—Childcare services.

University Computer and Phone Store—Purchase a computer or cell phone plan at reduced rates.

University Health Center—Currently enrolled University students who have paid the University program and facility fees are eligible to use this low-cost service. Primary care services are provided at no cost and other services are billed at reduced rates.

University Technology Support—The Information Technology Services Computer Help Center supports the computing needs of faculty, staff, and students at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln.

Women's Center—The Women's Center has programming to assist women with a successful, positive, college experience, and to help everyone in the University community. They provide workshops, events, support groups, and counseling on a range of personal issues.

Don't see what you're looking for? Contact us at